This is bar far one of my favorite “bread” recipes ever! I’m not much of a bread person, but I love anything with tons of fruit or veggies in it. Banana bread/cake is easy because who doesn’t always have bananas or access to bananas. Unlike typical banana bread, this one is arabized with cardamom, cinnamon and nutmeg and sweetened with a creamy date “frosting”. Now go forth and get baked!
- 2.5-3 ripe bananas, mashed (you can never have too much!)
- 2 eggs or 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax in 6 tbsp water)
- 1/2 cup flax, almond, or other non-dairy milk
- 1/2+ cup coconut sugar, to taste
- 1 cup gf oat flour*
- 1/2 cup gf oats*
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 – 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 – 1/4 tsp cardamon, to taste
- dash of nutmeg
- Optional: 1-2 tbsp raw honey or vegan sweetener, 1/4 – 1/2 cup chopped dates or raisins, 1/2 chopped banana
- 1-1.5 cups dates
- 1/2 —3/4 cup filtered water
- dash or two of cinnamon and other spices if desired
- Large bowl
- Parchment paper
- Loaf Pan
- Preheat oven to 350 and line the baking tray with parchment paper.
- Mash the bananas and combine with eggs and milk. Then stir in coconut sugar.
- In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients, adjusting spices to taste.
- Add the dry to the wet and mix. Then stir in dates and banana.
- Bake for about 35-45 mins (or until the center is not wet when tested with a toothpick).
- Let cool before applying frosting or cutting.
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor, adjusting to desired consistency and spread over loaf once cooled.