I’ll be honest, I’m not really a fan of apple pie, but it’s fall so maybe I’ll learn to be. I used this as an attempt at a completely grain-free piecrust and it turned out well! While I don’t always love apples, I do love anything with cinnamon and spices so I ended up eating half the pie myself (it was only a mini pie after all). You could double the recipe to make a regular-sized pie, or stick to the small version. I like to change up my desserts often so I don’t like having 1 sit around too long. You can also use this crust recipe for any other pastry dough.
*This is another Beagle-approved recipe (at least the crust is)
where to buy Neurontin Ingredients:
- 1 ½ cup almond or oat flour
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 egg or flax egg
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2-3 tbsp honey or maple syrup*
- ½ tsp vanilla
- pinch of pink salt
- 2 organic applies, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- pinch of ginger and allspice (ground clove and nutmeg)
- I like my crust a little sweet so I usually use 3 tbsp of liquid sweetener or a little extra vanilla.
- Mixing bowl
- Plastic wrap
- Mini 6” pie pan
- Preheat the over to 350F/180C and line a small pie pan with coconut oil.
- Mix all of the crust ingredients starting with the dry and adding the wet. You may need to use your hands the more you mix it.
- Form into two separate balls, put in plastic wrap and place in the freezer.
- Prepare all of the filling ingredients in a mixing bowl – I use the same one as the crust. Less to clean up 🙂
- Grease the mini pie pan with coconut oil and remove dough from the freezer.
- Roll out one of the balls the best you can in the plastic wrap and line the bottom of the pie pan.
- Evenly spread the filling ingredients into the crust.
- Roll out the second dough ball and use a knife to cut strips of dough and place on top of the apple filling. Make a cool face out of it and eat the extra dough or be boring like I was and try to make it look classic and fancy..
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until the crust is just browned and the apples are soft. I had to cover mine with foil about 15 minutes after being in the over to prevent the crust from burning.
- Remove, let cool, and serve with homemade vanilla ice cream 🙂