You can NEVER have too many quick and easy recipes on hand. I love this one because it’s very similar to my cereal bar recipe. It requires minimal ingredients, no baking or prep, just pour, mix, set, and done! I found a bag of puffed amaranth in a random health food store and felt I needed to try it. It’s not bad on it’s own, but it seemed like its light and soft texture would pair perfectly with some hearty peanut butter (but then again…what doesn’t pair well with PB). They’re perfect for a morning coffee/tea or munchies snack and an even better snack for kids! Amaranth is full of protein, fiber and helps reduce inflammation. This recipe is a great way to start introducing it into your diet.
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ cup organic crunchy peanut butter*
- ½ cup raw honey or coconut nectar
- 2 tsp organic Ceylon cinnamon*
- 1 ½ cup popped amaranth
- Optional: cacao powder, chocolate chips, spices, etc.
- Use almond or sunflower seed butter for a peanut or nut-free option.
- I used cinnamon in these, but they’re also delicious with a couple tablespoons of cacao powder instead.
- Large bowl
- Loaf Pan
- Parchment paper
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except for the popped amaranth.
- Stir in the popped amaranth until fully coated and mixed. Fold in any remaining ingredients, if using.
- Spread mixture into lined the lined pan. I usually only use half of the pan for thicker bars.
- Freeze 5-10 minutes or until set, cut and serve or store in the refrigerator.