I can’t tell you how many times I’ve needed/wanted to have snacks or treats ready in a pinch – friends coming over last minute, going to someone’s house or just knowing I’ll need to take something else with me to have on hand during a long day.
I love making raw treats because you can put them together in all of 5 minutes (ok, maybe a little longer if you actually clean up after) and you can sneak in all kinds of health foods or make them as sweet or savory as you’d like.
I try not to over-do it with nuts or seeds, so I’ve been making mine out of coconut and dates lately and it really has made a difference in digestion! It’s just good to change things up regularly anyway 🙂
I personally love a really strong flavor of whatever I’m using (acai, cacao, matcha, maca, etc.) so feel free to adjust to your taste preferences. That’s another good thing about raw bites – you can adjust the recipe as you go and just form the balls when you’re satisfied with the final product! You can also make a large base recipe (coconut and dates) and divide the mix so you can make multiple flavors within a matter of minutes.
- 2 cups shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1+ cup dates
- 1 tbsp acai or matcha powder, to taste*
- Pinch of pink salt
- Optional: ¼ tsp vanilla, white chocolate chips
- Split the base recipe (coconut/dates) and make both!
- I prefer a stronger flavor so I recommend using less powder until you have the intensity of flavor that you want
- Food processor
- Blend the coconut in the processor until its well shredded (almost flour-like)
- Add the dates until well combined
- You can now divide the mixture in half to make both flavors, otherwise add in the powder of your choice (matcha or acai) and the salt
- Process until well mixed, but don’t over process it or they will be hard to form
- Taste test the mixture before forming balls or bars in case you to add to it:
- Add more coconut or powder to make them less sweet
- Add more dates for a sweeter, stickier flavor and consistency
- You may also need more dates if the mixture isn’t holding together well
- Roll into balls and store in glass at room temp or freeze to use later