Patties have become a staple in my current diet and lifestyle. They’re so easy to make and can be made with any fresh ingredients on hand. This may sound like an odd combo, but plain or seasoned sweet potato and beetroot patties are a great combination for any diet type and are easy digested as neither are known FODMAPS or cause any type of inflammation. For a little more substance or to make them the main part of a meal, feel free to add in some grains or legumes or any herbs of choice. I personally like beetroot, sweet potato and a bit of rosemary and pink salt 🙂
- 2 cups cooked sweet potato
- 1 ½ cup cooked red beet
- Optional: Italian herbs- rosemary, oregano, basil, pink salt, etc., to taste
- Optional: 1-2 cups cooked quinoa, amaranth, lentils or rice to turn them into a more filling, main dish
- Food Processor (not necessary, but helpful for mixing the patties)
- Large Sauté/Fry Pan
- Cook the sweet potato and red beets using your method of choice (everything tastes better to me grilled, but boiling them is the fastest). Cook quinoa, amaranth, or rice if using.
- Remove skins and mash or mix to desired texture (I usually just pulse them in the food processor a couple times so there are still chunks).
- Form in patties to desired size. I prefer them smaller so they’re easy to flip..and because they are quite filling.
- In a saucepan on medium heat, add coconut oil and cook patties until lightly browned and hold together.